Happy New Year!
In this tutorial, we’re going to be making a lucky New Year
necklace.
The story: I used to
work at a company that had many international employees. We were working over New Year, and as
midnight approached the Spanish people started opening up packets of grapes.
They explained that it was a tradition to eat twelve grapes,
on each chime of the stroke of midnight for good luck for the coming twelve
months.
So to celebrate New Year 2014, here is a necklace inspired
by that tradition.
I’ve used large green beads to represent the grapes, and
used a basic stringing design that anyone can do with minimal equipment.
(Before we begin I will admit to a very silly mistake… I
apparently can’t count! I made this on
New Year’s Day and was still a little sleepy, and put 14 grapes on instead of
12! Oh well, I guess that means I get
two extra months luck?!)
You will need:
18 inches Brown or gold coloured Embroidery thread
12 large Green beads (they don't have to be all the same size though - grapes aren't!)
10 brown or gold seed beads
2 gold coloured jump rings
1 gold claw clasp
Scissors
Glue
Flat nose pliers
Round nose pliers
Step 1
Lay out your design on the bead tray. This way if your beads are slightly different, as mine were, you can see what order you like them in the best.
Start to string your beads onto the embroidery thread. (This is easier if you have a needle - but I did it without, so don't worry if you can't find one.) Continue along until you have all of the beads on the string.
Step 3
Tie a jump ring to each end of the thread. Loop the thread through the ring twice and tie a double knot to keep it secure.
Step 4
Hold up your necklace by the jump rings and make sure the beads are hanging evenly.
Now to space out those small beads, we are going to tie single knots in the thread up each side. Don't worry if they aren't perfectly even, we're going for a rustic look here, so it's up to you how you space out your beads. I tried to make mine roughly at the same levels, but I didn't measure it, so some are closer than others.
To do this, slide all but one of your beads up to the jump ring. Tie the knot where you would like your next bead to sit, and then let one slide back down to the knot. Tie your next knot above it, and let the next bead slide down to it. Continue until you have done all the beads on both sides.
Step 5
Using your pliers, attach your clasp to one of the jump rings.
Step 6
Trim the ends of the thread, and add a dab of glue to the knots to keep them secure.
Your lucky grapes are all finished!
For a variation on this necklace, try using a mixture of purple and green beads, for different coloured grapes!
If you don't have any jewellery making supplies, you can even make this out of thread and Papier Mâché beads, and just tie the necklace together.
Have fun. :)












No comments:
Post a Comment